Monday, July 5, 2010

Another Cooking Failure in Israel


So tomorrow is my birthday (hint hint) and my research group has a very backward tradition that the birthday girl or boy has to bring their own cake.

Seeing as I dislike cake, I thought "hey! I have leftover marshmallows from the BBQ. I'll take Rice Crispy Squares instead!"

Problem #1: While pacing the cereal aisle before Hebrew class this evening, I came to realize there are no Rice Crispies in Israel. Bright yellow corn flakes it is. Should be a tasty substitution.

Problem #2: About half my leftover marshmallows are pink, and as they started melting in the pot, I realized they were strawberry flavoured.

The result are the most radioactive and unappetizing rice crispy squares ever prepared.

I am finding this blog template kills colour in my photos, so click on the image to get the real colours.



I think I'll be going to the store to pick up some cakes early tomorrow morning.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truly hideous looking. Is it even remotely tasty? Would a 6 year old child like it? Would a 14 year old boy eat the whole pan?

I thought you'd be making a pie!

Ashley

Polly said...

Wow, those are some radioactive-looking treats. Good luck finding early-morning cakes!
Also: strawberry-flavoured marshmallows? That sounds terrible.

TheGroz said...

Happy birthday Janet.

TheGroz

Jeff Manthorpe said...

BWAHAHAHA BWAHAHAHA! I can relate your need to improvise and having it be less than successful. I hope you managed alright.

Janet said...

Pie, mmmmm. Pie.
Lard is verboten.
Shortening is hard to find. I did see it once in a store that imposts stuff from America, but it came in two kilo tubs and cost a fortune.

My Aunt Edna's Carrot Cake was the final decision and it worked out just fine.