I loathe the fact that this has happened to me, but I have been desensitized to large guns. They are simply everywhere. Not just little hand guns, but full-on giant weapons strung around soldiers like dangerous guitars.
For someone who has only ever shot a B-B gun at a margarine container, it is surprising how they have become part of my everyday life. Guns are in the predictable places like hugging police officers, and decorating the necks every one of the five or six security dudes and dudettes hanging outside Netanyahu's house as I walk by to the supermarket.
But they are also in places that Canadians would be uncomfortable with. Large guns hang at the waist of the security at the university gate when I get my id and bag checked each morning. On the way to Hebrew class, I might might see one hanging almost vertically on the back of an off duty soldier pushing a stroller down the street. Getting pushy in the grocery store line? Well I might get shoved up against the assault rifle of a soldier picking up some hummus and cheese for his mom. Or I might see a three foot long gun resting on the lap of a young combat soldier nodding asleep on the bus to Tiberias. Even the security guy at the botanical gardens packs heat.
To be honest, I probably only go one day a week (Shabbat) without seeing some sort of gun.
Yesterday at the bus stop there was a soldier with a large unidentified mean looking weapon (but clearly not for moose hunting) which wasn't really a big surprise. What was a shocker was what was also around his shoulders.
Makes me want to put up my hands and surrender my Strem catalogue.
1 comment:
Hmmm. I guess I shouldn't wear my Maybridge t-shirt in public then...
I wonder if the instrument companies have the same degree of animosity toward each other. Bruker vs. Agilent vs. Perkin Elmer vs. Jasco- could be interesting to watch...
Post a Comment