Friday, September 17, 2010

On Meat

I decided, in a fit of photojournalistic fever, to head to the shook and capture the chicken ritual in action. What I saw changed me.

I first captured a video of a rabbi, collecting the sins in a few chickens of willing passers by. It was amusing and fascinating but really kinda no big deal. The funny part was that he would pat the chickens affectionally every time he put one back in the box.


What changed me was a sight only a block farther down the main street in Jerusalem, Yaffo Street. There were two very large, very pungent trucks of sickly looking chickens, waiting to be purchased for the ritual. Tossed on the sidewalk was the body of a chicken that had died in transit.



In essence, I am getting more and more disgusted with factory farming and how we treat animals. And I am not convinced that factory farming even gives us a better or safer product- certainly cheaper though.

This may be strange coming from me, who spent her summers on a pork farm, spent seven wonderful months on a sheep farm, and have never shied from eating cute animals. I have always known that industrial scale meat production is not pretty, but I think it is getting uglier by the year. I am not sure I want to be as complicit in it anymore.

Maybe it is the Mediterranean diet, but we have been eating less and less meat. There is usually some in every dinner, but it is often less than half a chicken breast per person. James, surprisingly, seems happy and satisfied with this diet, and has even suggested adding vegetarian dishes into our repertoire.

Don't worry, I am not becoming a vegetarian. I will still eat your delicious roast beef, moose stew (yes please!), and your chicken florentine when I come over. But I think meat will be less of a focus in our house than the meat-potato-veg culture that surrounded us when we were younger.

Maybe I will take up hunting when I go home.

3 comments:

Jeff Manthorpe said...

Couldn't agree more, Janet. I used to have a real problem with hunting but the more time goes by the more I actually support it, so long as the animal (moose, deer, duck, goose, etc.) remains healthy. Frankly, I think we could do with a good goose cull. Heaven know that the moose population in Newfoundland is completely out of control! We have started to take matters into our own hands by buying meat from small scale farmers at local farmers' markets and a butcher who only buys from smaller local operations. We also get most of our veggies from a local organic farm. Yes, it costs a little more but the quality is VASTLY superior and we know that we are doing what we can for humane treatment of animals (without going all the way to vegetarianism or veganism).

Andrew said...

"Going all the way to vegetarianism" - actually, it's not that radical! I've been a vegetarian about 30 years and it hasn't killed me yet. But by the time you consider all the energy and water to process, refrigerate and transport meat, the land required to grow it (except wild animals like moose, etc), it's not hard to become vegetarian. Good for your body, the planet, your conscience - you choose your reasons! And I'm increasingly saddened by the rape of our oceans, lakes and rivers, one fish species after another until they become uneconomically viable (meaning commercially extinct).
Next stop, being a vegan. I'm not quite there yet, still eating cheese and eggs, but I agree - go organic (and free range) whenever you can. Those battery hens on your blog, Janet, are examples of gross human exploitation of another species. OK, my rave is over!

Janet said...

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??!? As you may recall, vegetarianism IS radical for the Macd's of Dwight. I still remember my mom freaking out about what to feed you the first few years you were part of the family! Giggle Giggle.

Instead of Vegetarian, I think I will be a Less-i-tarian for now.

I still get to do all those good things, but admittedly not on the same scale as a full-on vegetarian. And it keeps my mom un-flustered and my iron levels up.