Monday, September 27, 2010

Done for Now

I think I am done for now. I have sent off about 28 academic job applications in the last three weeks. I have morphed myself into an inorganic chemist, a physical chemist, an electrochemist, a materials chemist and even a chemical engineer. I feel like the chemistry chameleon.

Through the grapevine, I hear my PhD boss– reference letter writer extraodinaire– has described my strategy as "Janet is doing a good job of carpet bombing North America." That is probably a nicer description that the one I was thinking: application tart.

I figure with that many applications, I will either get zero interviews or twelve. Some of the schools I applied too were pretty big, and my publication list pretty small. Amit tells me that aiming higher that you think you can get is a very Israeli trait. They do it because, every one in a while, it works out. Maybe they are rubbing off on me and I am getting a little more Chutzpah.

Either way, I probably won't hear anything until at least December. Hiring faculty is a committee thing, and "committee" is just another word for "herd of turtles"

Tomorrow I am back in the lab, for the first real time since,.......since...... Oh dear, since almost July. Better drink two cups of coffee tomorrow morning. I am starting a new project and it is always a daunting task. I will need some serious caffeine motivation to get over the hump of beginning.

4 comments:

mel said...

Best of luck with both the beginning and the carpet bomb applications! (I hope your committees, if they find your blog, are amused by being referred to as turtles. if they aren't, you wouldn't want to work with them anyway!) :)

You rock Janet. Just thought I'd put that out there. :D

Jeff Manthorpe said...

You know what the best part of carpet bombing is? You get to blow stuff up!!! And the second best thing is carpet...sweet, sweet carpet. It's so nice and soft under your feet. How is any of this relevant to your post and job quest? I have no idea... :P

Janet said...

Hey thanks guys.

Emily RB said...

Go Janet! I hope you applied at UofS!!!