Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Going Viral

I would just like you to know that my high school year-book quote is "You will never guess what happened to me!" But I swear, I don't actively go looking for crazy stories.

For the last two years I have been paranoid that this blog will get VERY public and perhaps something I said here might come back to haunt. Turns out, I shouldn't have worried. My science is the worst source of internet smearage of my good name.

You know that little press release I sent out? Well the story of my nanoparticles has gone viral and is on about two dozen different news sites, science sites, blogs and forums. Just google "Nano Star of David" and you will get the picture.

I don't really mind showing up on "e science news" or "bloomberg.com"
But now my name is associated with websites of the Zionist Settlers, the far Christian right in "Rapture Watch" and, yes even a website called "fuckfrance"

Titles of articles include "Star of David shaped nanopartilces better than the rest", "Israeli Scientists find Nano Star of David, Key to Peace in the Middle East" and "Star of David nanoparticles discovered. Time for a boycott."

My friendly little particles have even been called "Our latest weapon: Zionist particles of death"

My personal favorite is that my science ended up on the very famous news satire website FARK under the title "Nano Jews in Space". That one I am completely amused by.

There is nothing I can do but laugh and hope to God that anyone who googles my name will have a sense of humour too.

Really, I couldn't make this up if I tried.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha ha!
Serves you right to popularize your science (blue TEM images - come on!!!). Hey, when you pick the image that looks like a political and cultural symbol that arises so many feelings (both hate and love) you should expect the backlash.

Jeff Manthorpe said...

"There is no such thing as bad publicity!"

Janet said...

Ha Ha,
You and I know exactly who was putting the decision making strings on this one.
There is not such thing as bad publicity, I guess.

Polly said...

"Israeli Scientists find Nano Star of David, Key to Peace in the Middle East"

If your science brings about World Peace, that will likely make you infinitely more employable, non? Dr. Janet, Peacemaker... it's a pretty good qualification.

Janet said...

Polly,
I am not sure if it will make me more enjoyable or completely insufferable.

Oh wait, you said EMPLOYable. You are right, I probably would be, except the locations might be a little less than desirable: Afganistan, Iraq, Darfur...

"Peacemaker" does have a good ring to it.