
Good and Sweet Year!
It is Rosh HaShannah, Jewish new year, today. Last night we went to the boss' house for dinner with his whole extended family. We dipped apple slices in honey, some ate the sweet processed gifilte fish (I passed and did my best not to make a face as it went by), spread some liver paté on the hallah bread, and then gorged ourselves on a real feast of salads and beef and chicken and rice and veggies. Most of the food was a bit sweet as a symbol of the sweet new year to come.
Of course I ate too much, especially after the fruit basket was put right in front of me.
The boss' family gave me an impromptu Hebrew test and they said they were all very impressed. Especially when I used the word "par" which means gap. "Ohhhhhh!" they all exclaimed, "Col ha cavod!" which means "with all the respect" in English and "ohh la la!" in French.
One of the Boss' young nieces gave us a beautifully decorated Styrofoam pomegranate full of candy and a wee jar of honey. The pommegranate with all its seeds is symbol of the fruitfulness of the new year- and maybe something about multiplying, but I choose to ignore that.
I am using this extra long weekend to apply for jobs, so keep your eye on the counter and see how high it goes! Hopefully this new year will bear the fruit of a new job!
2 comments:
Hope your (and James' too) job hunt will be fruity sweet in no time, so that you can get on with multiplying sooner rather than later ;)
Good luck with the job hunt, Janet!!
Post a Comment