I was told yesterday about this tradition that is done by some of the very, very religious the day before Yom Kippur, the day of atonement.
They take a live chicken, circle it around their heads a few times and say some words to send all their sins to the chicken.
Then they kill the chicken.
And then cook and eat it.
When I heard about this I was silent for a few seconds and then said the only thing that could be said at a time like this: "You guys are weird."
I didn't really believe it so I looked it up. Sure enough, it is true and this is what one article had to say about it:
"The kaparot ceremony is meant to symbolically express our recognition that we have sinned and are no longer deserving of life (like the chicken), but we can be saved from the penalty we deserve if we repent, perform good deeds, and give charity."
What on earth did the Chicken do to deserve this fate?!? Did he sin!?!? NO! He was just pecking away at chicken feed and then WOOSH! Some dude grabs him, spins him in the air a few times and suddenly the poor chicken is full of sin! And gets the death penalty for it!
Today I went into Yossi's office, my most religious lab mate, and asked him in a horrified voice if he was going to do the thing with the chicken on friday. No, he assured me, he uses some money for the ritual which he then gives to the poor.
We, The Hen and Chicken, are relieved.
12 years ago
3 comments:
19 job applications! YOU GO, GRRRRL!
And I am no where close to being done!
That's great! The bad news is that I just got the monthly bulletin from the Canadian Association of University Teachers and there was only 1 chemistry position and it was really lame. Basically a contract for one course, one time. Wish I had better news than that.
Post a Comment