I wasn't a yelling match, exactly, more like an every day Middle Eastern disagreement.
You may think I sound horrible for getting into a disagreement over a bus transfer, but only in Canada can you can get what you want by being polite. In Israel, politeness is mistaken for indifference and will get you walked all over.
The bus driver this morning wouldn't give me my transfer. I had forgotten to get one when I got on the bus and -no kidding- 50 m down the road I asked him for one. He told me "there isn't any" which was a lie because he was handing them out like candy at the next stop.
I waited until the stop at the central bus station and asked again politely. He refused loudly saying "it's not possible".
"What's the problem? I got on at Safra Square. I asked you only after only 50 m!"
Then he yelled I had to ask for it just as I got on the bus.
I yelled back saying "It's morning! I forgot!"
Then more yelling but then he gave me the transfer anyway.
YEA! I argued with an Israeli (In Hebrew) and won!
My elbows are sharp! I put up with no stupidity!
I will just have to wear elbow pads for the first few weeks of readjustment when I get home so people don't think I am bitchy.
No comments:
Post a Comment