It was spring in Edmonton, Alberta. I was working hard writing my thesis chapters to complete my PhD. On an otherwise unexceptional Sunday evening, during one of our nightly phone conversations, The Chicken put is foot down.
We had been living apart for nearly six years for schooling. Yet that night was the night James decided it was time I figured out where we were finally going to live together. "Hen," he said "you have to get on finding a post doc."
I sighed, cause I new he was right and spent the next two days sending out half a dozen unsolicited application packages to profs in the US. On a whim, I e-maied one to Israel, to a seriously Big Fish in the little nanochemistry pond that I work in. I figured my email would get the Index Finger Salute (delete button) but heck, why not?
To my utter surprise, there was an email in my inbox the next morning. The Big Fish wanted to set up a phone interview a couple days later. I got all dressed up and professional looking for a little confidence boost for my audio-only interview, likely strangely juxtaposed with the 1970s floral couch I was sitting on. All went well, because by the end of the day, the Big Fish had made me an offer.
Then I had to tell The Chicken.
I was expecting a veto, but he simply said "Sure, I'll go to Israel!" We decided it would be a great adventure and hopefully a scientific boon for me. It had all happened in five days.
Then I had to tell my family back home and my friends in Edmonton.
It was so unexpected, my Mom was speechless for at least ten seconds. My Dad had to have it said to him twice before it registered. After assuring them Israel was safe, they immediately started planning their visit with me as tour guide.
Friends in Edmonton would ask, "So are you moving back out east to be with James?"
"Well, not 'out east' per se, but rather to the 'Middle East', " I'd respond.
Then I'd get a confused look."You mean, like, Winnipeg?"
My PhD supervisor had the most unique response when I said where I was going and for whom I was going to work. "Holy Sh**!" he said. "Really? That's great!" Then he looked over his glasses, pointed his finger at me and said "Don't f*** this up!" His confidence in me clearly knew no bounds.
In October, after defending my thesis, touring Alberta with my parents, going on a fantastic horseback riding trip, hauling all my stuff across Canada to store it in my parent's basement, and enduring tens of horrified "You're moving to JERUSALEM? Is is safe?", I left the comforts of home behind and flew with British Midlands from Toronto, connecting in London, to the abyss of the unknown.
January 10, 2011
12 years ago
1 comment:
I love this stuff! MORE MORE MORE!!!
Post a Comment