
Today was dreary and rainy. I had to take the bus to the other campus in order to be told about an inordinate amount of paper work I need to do. This is my favorite part. I need to get my visa extended. This will involve making an appointment (over a perpetually busy phone line) with the Ministry of the Interior. When I go, I will have to bring lots of letters and papers including evidence that I have an apartment. As well, I need to fill out scads of paperwork in order to get paid, for which I need a bank account. I shouldn’t get a bank account until I know what neighborhood I am living in. But wait, let’s think about this for a second. How am I going to pay for my still hypothetical apartment if I don’t have cheques? I’ll need a bank account for that. Beyond the circular argument problem, I still haven’t found a place that is not a hovel and is within my budget.
But this is besides the point of this post. As I was busing it though the streets of J-town on a drizzly day, I noticed a lot of plastic bags, shower caps and produce bags on a lot of big black hats. As you know, I am one for economy, but I think the orthodox population might jump on the chance to step up their rainy-day fashion statements.
Someone should find the supplier of those nicely fitting, very spiffy rain covers that the Mounties wear on their hats. Buy a few cases in Canuckistan, throw them in a suitcase and sell them here. I didn’t see a single well fitted hat cover today. You could make a killing! Buy them for 3 bucks a piece sell them for 15 shek (“made to withstand even Canadian weather!”) and make a 6 shekel profit. Multiply that by 7.28 million people, times 25% (Orthodox and Haredi folks) and divide by two (men only) that gives 5.5 million shekels (1.8 million CAD)! Perhaps I will supplement my apartment budget this way.
2 comments:
Brilliant.
Mom sent me the link to your blog. I'm so glad she did.
Nice idea Janet! Hope you have fun with the paperwork!
Post a Comment