Well, I have hit experiment 99 in my lab book this evening and I have imaged over 100 TEM grids since I got here. That is somewhat epic. I hate to think what the boss’ TEM bill is going to be. Then again, I try to keep the tab to a minimum (see below). Chemistry, thankfully, is finally moving forward again. My particles finally decided to cooperate with me since I gave them a little extra air and water free TLC.
AND, I got trained on the high-res TEM yesterday. AWESOME. So much better than driving the Lotus. I saw lots of lattice fringes, used STEM and lots of EDS on tiny areas. For those who have used the ol’JEOL in Edmonton, you know all about serious beam alignment which isn’t necessary with the new low res machines. I think the TEM lady was a little surprised that I aligned the HR like an old pro. Now I am an “Independent User” Anyway, enough of the geek talk.
The boss called looking for me during lunch. Good thing he wasn’t around the labs because half of his students are away studying for exams and the remaining eight of us went out for shawarma for lunch. I had a giant turkey one (yep, that is right, turkey not chicken) with lots of hummus, hot sauce, mystery cabagey stuff, tomatoes and mango sauce. Yorai thankfully ordered for me or else who knows what I would have eaten. It is now 7:30 at night and I am still not hungry. Mmmmm shawarma.
The reason the boss was looking for me was a detail of the meeting I was going to have with the University Rector (like a president) this afternoon. I seem to be well-spoken/foreign/geeky enough to be the chosen live exhibit in the TEM room for every big-wig who comes to see the nanocentre. Or maybe the green lighting of the microscope screen highlights my best features. The tour files into the TEM room to see the post-doc working hard in her natural habitat. “Tell us about your work” is my cue to start the show in ring one. I bring up some pretty pictures on the screen, explain my project with an audience-appropriate level of scientific big words and wax-poetic about the microscope for 5 minutes. Piece ‘o cake. Park ranger skills come in handy again. I get to meet big-wigs and get time on the TEM for free for my services as nanocentre wildlife.
12 years ago
1 comment:
I just have to say this blog of yours is my happy-time-du-jour fighting off my Feburary blues...
By the way, your offer of some yummy omlette actually got me thinking of visiting the Holy Land... For real! When are you done post-docing??? Just a random idea that I had swimming away in the university pool...
Post a Comment