Friday, August 20, 2010

43 degrees C

It is Hot. Not just hot , but Hot. I feel like every part of me is sweating and I haven't felt this uncomfortable since I worked in the desert of Australia. Which makes sense, because the temperature is comparable. But we have the added bonuses of no air conditioning and a top floor apartment with a large south facing wall. Even sleeping on the tile floor, I was sweating and too hot to sleep by 7:30 this morning.



Here is the weather forecast for the week. We already exceeded today's expected high since we just hit 43C, but my favourite part is Wednesday's forecast. Apparently the weatherman is getting sick of the heat too.



We have been doing what we can to avoid our apartment. I spent a very blissful ten minutes in the frozen food section of the grocery store contemplating crawling in the with bags of frozen peas and carrots.

Then we spent another couple of hours drinking iced coffee in an air conditioned cafe. This was followed by one of the cruelest jobs on the hottest day of the summer: apartment hunting.

The lease on our Proto-coop runs out at the end of October, but we have decided to stay until Christmas. This means we need to find a furnished apartment for only two months, but without having to pay the exorbitant prices of a vacation rental.

I put up an ad and one response wanted us to pay $3000 US for the two months for a tiny studio. Oh yes, and because we aren't super Glatt Kosher, we can only use the fridge and the kettle. Nothing else in the kitchen.

As luck would have it, we found a newspaper reporter going on exchange for exactly those two months. The apartment looks great, the kitchen non-kosher, the price right, and the neighbourhood funky. Most importantly we will be a five minute walk from Damascus gate of the old city and the 6 shekel felafel stand. We just need to finalize some details, but it looks like it will work out.

I love it when things get planned out and the stress is taken off.

Next goal: Job!

5 comments:

s_u said...

it's 10C this morning when i biked to work and when i looked around, gasp*, leaves are turning red!!!

Unknown said...

That sounds horrible and uncomfortable...but glad to hear that you've found a place :D

Janet said...

Ha Ha Siu. In 43C, the leaves here are turning BROWN!

KM said...

I don't want to be a douche, but how would they ever know that you used the kosher kitchen?

Aunt Sandra said...

I think that before you post something else Janet you need to know that I left 31 degrees, Toronto and arrived back to about 3 degrees, raining Christchurch. While you might want to crawl into the frozen food section, I live in it in my house all winter long! Can we trade places? Even for one day?