Thursday, December 9, 2010

Generous trust

To sum up my latest adventure: 

Twelve AM jet-lag wake ups
eleven flights
ten days
nine drives to the airport
eight times through security (I think my shoes are glowing from the X-ray exposure)
seven different airports
six "dinner interviews"
five presentations
four new bras
three interviews
two eggs with bacon
and a missed flight (in a pear tree!)

Am I ever glad to be home. 

Due to my own stupidity, I missed my first flight yesterday morning. The only way I could make my connecting flights was to waste no time, drive 1.5h to Minneapolis and catch a flight from there. My cabbie, who was going off shift to spend time with his wife and take his sixteen year-old daughter for her drivers exam, kindly drove me. Ten minutes into the ride, after a call to his dispatcher, we realized I didn't have enough cash for the 195$ fare and I asked to use my credit card. Because the company is so small, they don't take credit cards. But there wasn't really time to go to an ATM and catch my flight. 

My world travelled cabbie said not to worry. He really just wanted me to get on my flight. He gave me his phone number and email address, and said he would just pay my fare to his company out of his pocket and to just send him the fare when I got home. A complete stranger spotted me 200$. 

Wow. 

1 comment:

Aunt Sandra said...

Geez Louise have you no pity? What are us boomers going to do without your hilarious blog to keep us vicariously re-living our adventurous youth? It's been a pleasure and I wish you all the best in the land of COMPLETE normality. Enjoy your last few days in Israel. L'chaim!