Sunday, December 5, 2010

Mining the Brains of the Locals

I have been mining the brains of my many cab drivers finding out the best and the worst of their respective cities. Most of my sources have been waxing poetic about the warm people, the proximity to the country, the affordable cost of living or the culture. They have been complaining, almost all of them, about their supposedly horrid winters, which I disregard since the only place in America that could possibly have worse winters than Edmonton is Anchorage.

Today's cabbie had something else to say. When I asked her for her favorite part about living in her chosen city, she said "Honey, I don't get out much here. I get in my cab, I shuttle drunks around, and I go home and spend time with my kids."

Hmmm. Way to sell your home town. Honey.

2 comments:

Bunsen Honeydew said...

Well, full marks for honesty.

When I interviewed in Saskatoon, I asked a similar question of a waitress. Her response? "Why would you want to move here?"

Ashley Deavu said...

I just wanted to say that reading your blog fills me with smiles.
XOXO