Friday, May 16, 2014

To the Beach!





This morning Alex and I got up really early and headed to the shook to buy a big box of rugallah pastries to take to group meeting on Monday. Alex and I shared one on the way home. I know, I know, I shouldn't be feeding my kid sweets for breaky but they were still warm and fresh from the oven. How could we resist?

I would like you to notice my new "Trusty Travelling Skirt". The old one has been retired to "Trusty Gardening Skirt"
There are some strange things to be found in Yaffo.


Uh...20 shekels and you can't even spell Israel correctly?

We took the one hour bus to Tel Aviv and spent the day visiting the junk shops in Yaffo and on the beach. I was sorely disappointed by lunch. I had been craving a dish called Shakshooka for months and months. Think of a pan of tomato sauce with two eggs cracked in and cooked in the oven and served with crusty bread. When I had had it in the past, there was always goat cheese or some onther delicious melted cheese on top. Today's had weird spices, no cheese and featured mushrooms from a can. So disappointing. I'll just have to try and make it at home. 

After lunch we walked along the coast and stopped when we found a shady spot on the beach. Alex took a nap in the stroller and James and I relaxed on our one big towel. When Alex woke, we played in the sand and took dips in the sea.

This is not the kind of relaxing I would have done or enjoyed as much even a year and a half ago. I woudl have wanted to do more and see more, and felt like I was missing something. Somehow kids just slow you down. I guess you realize you can't do it all, so you just enjoy the few thing you do manage to do. All the same, as I was floating in the waves, I thought to myself that I am amazingly blessed to have a life where I can enjoy such things as swimming in the Mediterranean.

2 comments:

Joel Kelly said...

We make shakshuka all the time! I don't know how it would compare to the Israeli version though. Every time we make it with a different twist- recently it's been with smoked paprika and black olives.

Janet said...

Oooh. That sounds great Joel. When are you going to visit and make some for me?