Friday, May 9, 2014

Ben Gurion is happy to see me again


How do I even start? This used to be so easy. The mental blogging gears have certainly gained some rust.

But even then, how to I even start? How do I tell you about my winding, snaking story of the last three years and how the journey has brought me back to Jerusalem? I'm guess I'm not, since this blog is really all about my travels in Israel.

This time The Chicken and I are bringing an addition, thirteen month old Alexander who has already shown be he loves Israel by wolfing down ruggela pastries, grabbing the tub of Hummus out of my hands and putting it straight in his mouth, and smiling at all the strangers we meet.

As we drove into the city from the airport and then foraged for food, I was struck by how familiar and how comfortable and easy it all is. With no reservations, I thrust myself into the throng at the shook and get the works for tonight's feast. Although our old regular spot has been turned into a cell phone outlet, I still found what we needed, and even traded the gift of free organic onions with my purchase for cucumbers when I told the proprietor of the stall, in Hebrew, that "Onions don't like me".

 I also was struck by the memories that I had forgotten. The wackiness of it all and especially the smells: the fresh hallah bread, the fish alley in the market, the fruits and spices and the flowers.

James is amazed at my preparedness. Yes, our old cell phone still works, and yes, do call our friend Adam (number still programed in the phone) who lives just down the street from our rental apartment to see if we can borrow a corkscrew. And yes, I still have a very beat up ratty discount card for the grocery store.

We'll only be here for a week, but we will be cramming in as many memories as we can.

And cramming in fruit.

Did I mention it is skesek season?  My favorite Mystery Fruit?

No comments: