Monday, December 22, 2008

Hanukah and Kaffee

Yesterday was the group Hanukah party at the boss’ house. The place was packed with our giant group and their significant others. The first candle of the Menorah was lit, which in the boss’ kid-friendly house was made out of brightly colored Construx (like an Erector set, for all you old fogies) and spun around when you flipped a switch. Everyone sung a couple of Hanukah songs and Edo, as the resident seven year-old, ran around with his hands pointed above his head like a candle and lit all the other candles (all of the folks in the room). There was lots of yummy food, and the boss was running around topping up everyone's wine glass. Other than the candles and the different songs, it wasn’t much different than a group Christmas party.

A giant Christmas package arrived in the mail from my Mom today that smells suspiciously like coffee. (Is it Tim’s? Muskoka Roastery? Either way, Mom is our new hero) We are very excited about this because coffee grounds here are horrible imported Kroger Grocery Store Brand from Ohio (no kidding) and at least three times the normal price. Everyone drinks Nescafé and even I have broken down and been sipping this wretched gut-rot instant stuff. In Hebrew, the word “ness” mean “miracle” so the serendipitous translation of Nescafé is “miracle coffee”. I say it is a miracle that anyone thinks it is coffee. I refuse to call it coffee. In my world it Kaffee.

1 comment:

mel said...

oi, Kaffee is German for coffee! I insist we make and drink good coffee. ;)
..though.. I do drink Nescafé. shhhh!