
I can understand Kosher rules. It seems like a lot of rules that make sense in a food-safety way. Whereas in main stream Canadian society we entrust government inspection agents to regulate and inspect our food sources, in kosher Judaism, that task is entrusted to specially trained Rabbis. Considering how long the Jews have been around, that means that they have had food inspection agents for thousands of years. Amazing stuff.
The kosherness can run very deep into many aspects of preparing and serving food that you wouldn’t first think about. At one of those dinners with the friendly Haredi folks next door back in November, when I had milk in my post dinner tea the plastic disposable table cloth cover was pushed back because meat had been served on it.
There is an unfortunate consequence of these rules in modern Israeli society: the excessive use of disposable tableware. It is the convenient answer to any situation where there is a mix of different types and levels of observation- which is almost every social function in Israel and every workplace kitchenette. Above is a picture of a large store by the market with a frontage of probably four to five times that of the hardware, kitchenware, and shoe stores nearby. This busy spot is completely dedicated to disposable plates, cutlery, napkins, tablecloths, cups, etc. to supply the Israeli public’s desire for convenience and commitment to kosherness.
When I first moved here, I asked the foreign post doc advisor where was a good place to by cheap kitchen stuff. She suggested that an inexpensive and convenient option was to use disposable plates etc. for two years. I politely suggested that we preferred real plates but was secretly horrified. I should also tell you that this is a country that only recycles beer bottles, plastic pop bottles and newspaper- nothing else.
My inner tree hugger finds it hypocritical to be so dedicated to God’s rules on food and yet so disrespectful to God’s creation. I will admit to my own hypocrisy, even as I write this post, I know I have nursed on my fair share of Tim Horton’s cups when I could have washed out a mug. They say that Tim’s cups are responsible for 22% of Nova Scotia’s litter and I don’t even want to think about how many more go in to the landfill. Tim’s cups are our corresponding repugnant habit in Canadian society. Except we don’t have God to blame. We are just plain lazy.
Get off your butt and use a reusable mug.
2 comments:
Au Bon Pain charged me $3 for a reusable mug, but every time I used it I saved 50 cents on coffee. Over the course of a year that's a lot of money and a lot fewer disposable cups used. Timmy's should do the same.
Very true .. I like the message Janet, let's save our planet. I will wash my mug right away. And when there is coffee in it, I will email you. :)
Post a Comment