
After a long hiatus, this strange fruit is back to reporting on strange fruit. I realize that last week's posts had a lot of religion in them seeing as it was both Passover and Holy week. But I promise, these mystery fruit have come straight from the heavens. They have a slightly fuzzy shell that is barely noticeable when you bite into the juicy flesh. The best and the sweetest specimens had to be eaten with satisfying slurping noises over the sink as the juice dribbled everywhere. Inside there were anywhere from two to six brown seeds that popped out easily and were barely an inconvenience. So they get a 4.5 out of five for fruity convenience (where apple being the most convenient and the most annoying is the pomegranate).
They are the perfect combination of sweet and a bit of tangy- somewhat like what a kiwi tastes like when it hasn't traveled the globe. A four out of five for flavor (wild blackberries being the best and the dubious holder of the worst tasting fruit award is Quince).
So that makes a eight point five out of ten from the Canadian Judges! These mystery fruits were so tasty they got the rare honour of being purchased twice, despite costing a shocking eight bucks a basket.
3 comments:
Oooh sounds delicious. Do they have a name?
A word of caution: blackberries are a fine fruit. But Liz and I recently discovered that our Chilean supplier ships them with BONUS bugs barely visible to the naked eye. Little crawly things on the plate mean we're taking a break from blackberries for a while.
Blackberries are best if they are picked strait from the canes in the hydrocut at the family cottage. All the bugs in them are Au Natural and only aid the nutritional value.
I also highly recommend little wee wild strawberries. Yum.
As for the name of these fruit? It is still a mystery.
All ye mystery fruit lovers!
I have an update on the name. In Hebrew it is called Shesek.
שסק
According to my dictionary this means "Loquat". I have never heard of loquats before but a quick google search brought op pics of the Teardrops of the Fruit Gods.
Post a Comment