

On Saturday we headed to Abu Gosh, a little town only 15 km or so from the city. We went with Max and Noa whom we know though our Ulpan classes. It seemed like the whole country was out having a picnic in the near by national forest reserve since the day was sunny and warm. Furthermore all the spring flowers are out making the hills look idylic with wee yellow dasies, red poppy-like flowers and purple flowers that I have only seen before in florists. We went for a small hike to work up an appetite for Abu Gosh's other main attraction: Hummus.
Abu Gosh totes itself as the Hummus capital of Israel. We had lunch at a restaurant that is supposed to be number one and should not be confused with the hummus restaurant next door with the same name and claiming that they instead are number one.
Out in the street, men are directing you to their restaurant in a rushed hurried way. "Come come, my friend! Best Hummus in Israel! Sit here. This table for you! "
When they aren't hassling passers by, they are hassling each other: taunting, making faces and even calling each other liars. I hear a rumour that this hummus rivalry has gotten serious in the past. One of the hummus places burnt down mysteriously not that long ago. I let the taunting wash over me in a wave of little understood Arabic and Hebrew and enjoyed our table piled with plates of three types of hummus, pita, salads, pickles, eggplant, french fries, stuffed grape leaves and stuffed peppers.

People come from all over to eat the Hummus of Abu Gosh, especially on a sunny Shabbat. The place was so packed that even at the odd hour of 3:30 pm, if you weren't chewing you got kicked out to make room for the next party. I think the picture sums up the whole scene nicely. People mulling outside waiting for a table. Man on left trying to entice people to HIS restaurant. Two restaurants next door to each other both claiming to be number 1. The only thing missing from the pic is the ten year old waiting tables like the was born with a plate of fresh pitas in his hand.
I ate so much that all I could do when I got home was curl up in a little ball and sleep. I didn't get hungry again until this morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment