Saturday, March 6, 2010

Morning Call to Prayer


We are having a warm spell and we have opened up all of the windows like we do in the summer. When our bedroom windows are open, I sometimes wake up in the dawning light to the call to prayer. It echos softly and eerily across the large valley below- early enough that the birds do not even accompany it.

In some ways it reminds me of home and the predawn calls of O-Oh Canada, Canada, Canada by the white throated sparrow. He sings his heart out in the dark as if the sun only rises because of his welcoming cries.

If I wake up, I listen to the call to prayer for a few moments and then roll over and go back to sleep for a few hours until morning starts in earnest.

Have you ever wondered what those men are singing in Arabic?
I have been told that one of the phases means "prayer is better than sleep."

Knowing that, I can confidently tell you that there is no chance I will be converting to Islam any time soon.

I am going back to bed now.

No comments: