Friday, March 12, 2010

TGIF

Winter, if that is what we can call it, is over. The day time high was over 30 degrees today, and the heat sent me digging though the closet looking for a tank top and a skirt. I have officially started working on this season's flip flop tan. It seems like only a week or so ago it was pouring rain for four days straight, and we were freezing with wet clothes draped all over the apartment.

Wait one sec... let me check... yep that was 12 days ago. This place is crazy.

I don't have that much to say other than it is Friday and we went shopping at the shook. James got a hair cut and used his Hebrew. He has made it his goal to try out as many old-man barber shops as he can in the city. In a fantastic coincidence, the Hebrew word for barber or hairdresser is the same as the word that means to tell a story. Both of which were going on in full force at this barber shop.

While The chicken was getting his feathers trimmed, I bought carrots and zucchinis and red peppers, then headed elsewhere for tomatoes and then to another spot for oranges and apples, then a pomello as a treat for me, some dill from a fresh spice seller, then come cucumbers when I saw some good ones for three shek a kilo ($1). On my way back to meet James at the barbers', I got yelled at by about half a dozen insanely loud shook guys "Gaveret, Gaveret!" "Miss! Miss!" and chased down because I forgot my 30 cent turnip at one of the stalls five minutes earlier. Love it.

Then we went for lunch (hummus and stuffed vegetables) next to a courtyard full of old men gossiping and playing very serious games of backgammon.

And this is just a gratuitous posting of a photo of a little scene at the shook. I am a shameless people watcher and a photographer from the hip.

No comments: