Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spring Cleaning

People all around Israel are madly cleaning their houses this week to get ready for Pesach. You can call it Passover if you find the guttural "ch" a little to hard on the throat. This is not a simple clean, but every knook, cranny and couch cushion needs to be explored and cleaned. The reason: Hametz. Any leavened or wheat product has to go. Every last crumb.

James and I did a big spring cleaning in the house last weekend getting ready for Katrine's arrival on Wednesday. Going against the grain (pun intended), we kept our bran flakes, pasta, and cookies. I am heading to the grocery store tonight to stock up before they all disappear from the shelves for the whole up coming week.

As far a cleaning goes, our Ulpan buddy, Shelly, says that in Jerusalem, dust doesn't count. And normally, I agree, however, since the rains are almost all done, and in honour of Katrine's visit, I broke out my new bottle of blue glass cleaner and cleaned all the windows.

Unfortunately, all the windows now have a greasy film all over them because the blue "glass cleaner" turned out to be bathroom cleaner. How was I supposed to know? In my world, blue clear stuff in a spay bottle = Windex. Shoulda stuck with vinegar and water.

Did I tell you I have a new found respect for people who are illiterate?

No comments: