Well only for a short while. At on the 27th of May- barring serious volcanic activity- I will be flying back to the big TO for a couple of weeks.
There I will be giving a talk at the Canadian Chemistry Conference, an event I sure you have all been waiting for with bated breath and had marked on your calendars. It will be my big chance to schmooze which the chemistry community in Canada, get the gossip on who is hiring this year, knock their socks off with a presentation on my research in Israel, and generally try and find leads for employment.
After that, I am heading up north to Muskoka and Haliburton for a few days of R and R, right after I have a doctor's check up, go to the pharmacist, get my drivers license renewed, have a chat with someone at the bank, stock up on reasonably priced deodorant, buy James new underwear with crotches intact, etc.
As soon as The Mothers found out that I was coming home, they started making noises and mentally filling my schedule. I immediately quelled the planning of The Lone Arrangers. It is going to be hard enough getting the really important stuff in: going to a five day conference, schmoozing shamelessly looking for a job, spending time with Uncle Bob (he turns 65 this year!), seeing Al who missed out on the trip and planting his flower garden, seeing close friends that I never see. And on top of that, find time to relax and loose the thick layer of crusty stress that seems to be surrounding my usually sunny aura.
As nice as those things other things would be, I really need a vacation- a real vacation. One where I sit on my butt or spend time with trees and lakes and rocks and find myself again. Trust me, I have had enough of adventure for the next little while.
Despite all this warning, there are so many of you I'd like to see- but I make no promises. Let's say it this way: if it is going to take minimal planning, stress and energy for us to see each other, we should do so! I look forward to having cups of tea with those of you with whom my path crosses. For the rest of you that I can't fit in, just think- if I can actually swing a job in Canada, this whole visiting you thing will be a whole lot easier!
12 years ago
1 comment:
If you end up at loose ends in Toronto, give me a call. I'd love to see you if it works with the schedule.
Post a Comment