Saturday, November 27, 2010

Off to America

Besides our wee road trip, for the past few weeks I have been working long hours which generally have me leaving the house at 7 and getting home at about 8-8:30 in the evening. The Chicken, my Hero, has been doing a lot of the cooking and errand running so I can keep working.

The reason for this is that I am flying to America for a few days starting tonight. Keep your eye on the counter in the left column. This will be changes next week!  Three of them!

An academic interview typically lasts two days. I have meetings (aka interviews) with 15 or so of the faculty individually or in pairs, I have to give an hour long seminar on my current research and another presentation to the faculty on my research proposals. 

As for the research proposal presentation, I was told by the schools to prepare for a 40 minute lecture but expect it to take an hour and a half with interruptions questions and challenges from the faculty. 

My PhD supervisor told me to prepare for it like my candidacy exam- which was not comforting. My candidacy exam was an three hour exercise in humility bordering on humiliation.  It was four years ago and I can still recall horrible details. There is a reason why beer afterwards is traditional. 

Needless to say, I have been requiring lots of hugs lately. If you have a moment, think of me next week and send me smart thoughts from where ever you are.

3 comments:

Jeff Manthorpe said...

Good luck on your trip! Email me if you want to pick my brains.

Polly said...

Good luck, my dear! I have every faith in your brains. I'm sure you'll wow them.

s_u said...

All the best, Janet!!! Virtual beer on me after or do you prefer my special toxic gin martini? Good luck ; )