Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Mystery Fruit No 4: Space Fruit



I have bravely gone where no poultry has gone before. It took us several days after buying this strange hot-pink and green fruit to decide what exactly it looked like. After considering other candidates such as tropical fish or some sort of Precambrian life form, We finally agreed on alien space ship (hence my little photo-shopping art). Our suspicions were confirmed of UFOness when we cut the sucker open: the flesh and juice was bright purple. To take a bite of the dodgy-looking space fruit took the most courage of all the mystery fruits to date. This time we were pleasantly surprised. It tasted like a kiwi on vacation (and without the pesky fuzzy skin!). Space fruit gets two thumbs up.
One last thought considering the bright purple flesh and for full disclosure in the name of science: I did not notice any …um… “digestive effect” similar to that of beets. (My sister will like this comment, the rest of you can be horrified.)

2 comments:

Polly said...

It's actually a space-monster-egg/spore.

ARRGHBBBPTHAaaaa...

[that's the sound of alien spawn growing in your digestive tract]

On that happy note: Merry Christmas, Jan! I'll be thinking of you while I travel to the land of snow and visit the Parents van der Meer.

Janet said...

According to Bryan, this is a Dragon fruit. And looking at the picture on Wiki, ours may have been a sad specimen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_fruit