



Last Friday after completely botching a planned trip to a nearby town, the Chicken and I ventured into an unexplored neighborhood as a second choice. With my new walking tour guide book in hand, we visited a famous Rabbi's house, saw my first Yeshiva (Torah school), saw where Ben Yehuda brought Hebrew back from being a dead language, and other key sites. But the best part was the church we came across behind a wall with narrow green painted doors open to our curious eyes. To get into the courtyard we had to literally step through the threshold, up and over the door step.
For the first time ever, I stepped foot in a Ethiopian Church. And by stepping foot, I mean with my bare feet since shoes were not allowed. Some worshipers forwent the going inside and just came to the doors and prayed and kissed the footstep.
The church is completely round, but inside at the centre was a square curtained room with an altar inside. FYI. Nothing ticks me off more than chatty people or camera clicking people in a church when people are praying. I shot these pics when no one was around.
If you have ever thought that some old catholic churches tend towards tacky, they have nothing on the Ethiopians. Bright pink walls, Mediterranean blue domed ceiling, heavy mismatched curtains, rich rugs and lively paintings of saints. I imagine with decor like that, I can only imagine that services must be joyous.
I was a big fan of the paintings for two reasons: The Madonna and child were a realistic skin colour. After a few months here with people oohing and ahhing over my exotic look, I can let you in on a secret: fat chance Jesus was blonde. Although I have to say, the baby Jesus in this painting looks like he is sprouting a five o'clock shadow. Even for middle easterners who can grow the most spectacular facial hair, beards in infancy might be pushing it.
My favorite feature was the paintings of the Saints. They didn't seem to kill their beasts, instead they tamed their lions and serpents and rode them through the desert like trusty companions. I like the idea of taking a hold of your failings by the mane and riding off into the sunset. It seems so much more possible than getting rid of your faults all together.
No comments:
Post a Comment