Thursday, December 24, 2009

Butter tarts anyone?

It is Christmas Eve at 7:54 in the morning and I am lauging at the consequences of last night's genius idea to make butter tarts - a traditional Canadian treat- for my labmates.

I have yet to find shortening here, lard of course would take an act of god, but I did find packages of premade pastry in the freezer section last night. I picked one with a promising looking pictures on the package. I let it thaw in the fridge overnight and this morning got up nice and early to make warm, gooey, melt-in-your-mouth butter tarts.

You know, sometimes you just have to laugh. This is what happened:



Hopefully this is not foreshadowing for tomorrow's turkey.


Update: it is 11:23 am and I am cleaning the pan. I took the buttertarts to work anyway after taste testing one for breakfast. Despite looking odd, the locals didn't know any better and gobbled them all up.

No comments: