Saturday, December 19, 2009

The week of Hanukah: a review




I really have no excuse this time for going so long between blog posts. It has been a busy and eventful week and it is not like I didn't have things to say, but I seemed to have gotten myself into a non-blog writing, spend all day in my pajamas slump. Since James left, I have let all of my slovenly bachelorette ways come back out. Two chick flicks in 24 hours, five hour afternoon naps, leaving my long hairs in the bathroom sink, breakfast bowl still on the table at 10 pm and diet of consisting mostly of the three C's of nutrition: coffee, cereal and cookies (although that has to stop after I nearly passed out getting out of the shower this morning).

Today I will stop procrastinating and get my butt in gear. Here is a very long blog post to prove it.

Last Friday James and I went to the Boss' house for the lighting of the first candle of Hanukah which was also Shabbat dinner. His brother and his kids were there and I was happy to find out that I am not the only one who is struggling to navigate the minefield of cultural and religious taboos around here. The boss' brother is a secular man but is a biology professor at a religious university. He said he has learned that after work when he takes his work-kippa off in the car on the way home, to roll it and not to fold it. This way there are no creases to give him away as secular. Then there is the remembering not to try to shake hands when he meets female students. And he had some hilarious stories of hiding out in various places in the university at 3 pm so he won't be pulled into praying.

James flew back to Canada last Sunday. He has been busy ticking off a very large list of errands and well as meetings with the family. As well as the usual blistering holiday schedule, he gave a chemistry talk at McGill on Friday and I am still waiting to hear how it went.

This past week was Hanukah, and Hanukia candelabras seemed to be everywhere. They come in every shape and size from giant lights on the Knesset parliament building, lights on every lamppost, 10 foot lights on street corners, traditional branched candelabra in window sills, tin boxes outside people's front doors- to my personal favorite: one made from and erector set that my boss' son made years ago and still gets pulled out every year. It even spins (somewhat wobbly) when you flip a switch. I think what I like about it so much is it reminds my of my family's Christmas tree which is always covered with decorations that don't match made by us years ago and full of memories.

I got to see this wonderful piece of family Judaica both on Friday night and at the group Hanukah party on Wednesday. After everyone but me heartily sang Hanukah songs they have all known from the womb, I was asked to sing a Christmas song. I balked and told them it was really hard to think of a Christmas carol that wasn't completely offensive to a room full of Israeli Jews which got a laugh. I didn't think "Oh come oh come Emmanuel and ransom captive Israel" was going to go over so well. I finally came up with Jingle Bells and sped my way though it at record speed to get the torture of singing in front of my research group over with.

Earlier in the week at work, Gabi asked me if I would like a sufgania. "A what?" I asked and he opened a box from a bakery. "Ooooooh, jelly doughnuts!" I said excitedly.

"These are NOT doughnuts!" Gabi replied haughty "They are sufganiot."

Well lah dee dah, I thought, but must have looked contrite enough to warrant getting a sufgania despite my earlier faux pas. These pastries only are sold at Hanukah and of course I have eaten quite a few, each time getting confectioners' sugar all over my face (the best Israeli food cannot be eaten with dignity). FYI, they taste like jelly doughnuts.

No comments: