Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Pancake Tuesday!

Today, The Chicken and I got up really early and made a double batch of pancakes for our labmates in celebration of Pancake Tuesday. We also had to drop by a store on the way to work to pick up a little bottle of 100% Canadian Grade A Maple Syrup which we noticed was for sale a while ago.

The real MacD maple syrup that my parents make is sacred, not to be wasted on the mapley unrefined Israeli taste buds. Plus, my family uses a little we bag of pork fat hanging over the kettles to keep them from bubbling over, so about 1/3 of my labmates wouldn't eat MacD maple syrup anyway.

Although they happily gobbled up the pancakes, the locals were a little confused. "What is Pancake Tuesday? Can we have Steak Thursday?" I was asked.

3 comments:

mel said...

Janet, inspired by your little Pancake Tuesday festivity two years ago here in Edmonton, I am now picking it up and trying to add German Karneval to it, to further the cultural understanding between Germans and Canadians .. I figure since the main elements of our Karneval are drinking insane amounts of alcohol and dressing up in silly costumes, with the additional lure of pancakes, at least Joel Kelly will attend. ;)
We'll dedicate one to you! with bacon.

Bryan said...

Did I mention I like maple syrup? =D

Joel Kelly said...

happy pancake tuesday! it turns out i quite like these german pancakes. thanks for helping establish the edmonton tradition!