
On our way out of campus last night, we came across a dumpster with a large pile of books spilling out of it. In the twilight, we could see the shadow of a student picking though the treasure like a campus cat. We decided to join in dumpster diving. Unlike the cats, we did not bare our claws with this stranger over what most consider trash, but we did share some laughs. All of the books were in French. Translations of Dostoevsky, histories, biographies of former world leaders and other high quality reading material including a decade old copy of Reader’s Digest and a biography on Tom Cruise.
As some of you might know, my French is merely mediocre, and in an effort to not loose what I have worked so hard for in the last couple of years, I have been trying to read in French. Unfortunately my reading skills are really poor. So as I was perusing the landslide of francophone books, I picked up a few that I was likely to be able to read: translations of Danielle Steel novels. That’s right, I will be getting my fill of 1980’s upper-class, glamour filled, rhinestone-encrusted, shoulder-padded love stories. In French. SCORE!
No comments:
Post a Comment