Thursday, January 29, 2009

Dissenting Opinion


I have had my first dissenting opinion emailed to me regarding my posts on the war. (With permission from the writer,) here it is:

"Anyway, I just wanted to put in a penny's worth of opinion too -and not meant as judgement or anything, it is just that you seem to be hanging out with only Jewish people, no Palestinians - is that correct? On one of your entries you said "the other side" is not being flexible. One thing to keep in mind is that the Palestinians were living there before Israel was formed and they have never received any compensation for the land that they lost -even though this was supposedly incorporated into the split. It never happened. I'm not sure how flexible I would be if I've lost my land and am frustrated at every turn to get fair treatment. Now that is not to say that I agree with their methods and their lack of respect for life - theirs or anyone else's, but it is a difficult and complicated problem and I have to have some sympathy for their plight as well."

So here is my response:

"Yep, all of my friends are Jewish- not a Muslim or an Arab in the lot. Although several are Jewish Atheists (a combo that has confused me since I was 19). Sadly, there is a language barrier with the Palestinian ladies down the hall at work whom only speak Arabic and Hebrew. I am totally fascinated by what they would have to tell me if I could speak to them. Maybe after my Hebrew lessons start I can try and chat them up.

I have been trying to be very careful about the language I have been using in my blog posts in that I have been expressing the opinions of my labmates as they tell it to me "David says..." etc. When I said that the Palestinians have never accepted a compromise, I had meant it to be the opinion that was expressed to me by my labmates. Sorry if
that was not clear. If there is anything I have figured out with this conflict, is that it is not important what the truth is, it is important what people THINK the truth is.

I have also been careful to always include a flip of the coin expressing a reference to the sucky life the Palestinians have in every post with opinion. No kidding, that National Geographic article was really enlightening. I can only be an information gatherer from one side right now. And I think it is always important to put a human side to war. Regardless of which side.

As for the Palestinians not being compensated for land they owned before the exodus, there is an abandoned house across the street from my apartment building. It clearly belonged to an Arab family from the style and the blue tiles that decorate the
exterior. It is decrepit and falling apart. It looks like it has been for sale forever despite the fact it is in one of the nicest neighborhoods in J-town. Signs of the land conflict are everywhere."

I think at this point I need to not have an opinion about anything- well except that this whole part of the world is a complete mess. No-opinion is probably the safest option. I remain an observer only and report back to you folks what is going on here. You can ask me what I really think when I get back to Canada but it will probably take me a couple of months of being out of here for me to form that opinion.

No comments: