

The Sea of Galilee is a big stop for water traveling down the Jordan River on its way to the Dead Sea. A the North end, where the river feeds the Sea we stopped the car on the side of the road and checked it out the river. On the banks were a few fishermen watching the river go by. Several people, mostly Israelis, were getting out to walk the old bridge and road and there was even disheveled ice cream truck. I loved the marshy unruliness of the place. Before I leave I would like a chance to go back and spend my own time watching the river go by.
The south end of the lake, where the river drains the sea was another story. Instead of contemplative fishermen, on the bank was a modern center for full body baptismals to which busses of foreign Christians were flocking. Baptismals, i.e., holy dips in the river, were free but the white smock was not, nor was the kosher restaurant serving vodka as a special. As well there was a glitzy and overpriced gift shop decorated with pictures of baptized people in orgastically religious states. As well you can get video of your baptismal set to Pachabell's cannon in your choice of DVD or VHS. Around the wheelchair accessible baptismal sites were amphitheater like seating areas but you could also enjoy the view from outdoor cafe tables where you sip your four dollar coke or cappuccino.
Curious if I went for a dip? That rite of passage happened for me long ago with plain ol' Muskoka water. Plus there were giant fish swimming in the baptismal areas and a horse corral disturbingly close to the other bank. But don't worry; I am not all cynical about the place. I did fill up my water bottle for my infant niece. When she is older perhaps Vivian will think it a neat thing that she was baptized with water from the Jordan River.
1 comment:
In 20 years Viv will think you're an awesomely cool aunt, right after she gets past her Goth phase.
Post a Comment