Friday, October 2, 2009

Mystery Fruit #13: The Pomme-granate


This morning, I laid siege upon the kitchen armed only with oven cleaner, Ajax and my trusty blue cloth. I cleaned behind the fridge and in the fridge and on the fridge. I cleaned beneath the microwave, in the microwave and on top of the microwave. And worst of all, I cleaned in the oven, behind the oven and beneath the oven.
There was much grunting, creaking joints, horrible sounds of appliances dragged across tile and the odd curse thrown in for good measure.

While the battle ensued in the kitchen, The Chicken fought gallantly at the most crowded of fronts: the shook on the day before a holiday. Yes, yet another holiday, Succot, starts tonight. He came home with the spoils of war. He presented his fair, oven soot streaked wife with a whole basket of new mystery fruit.

These fruit are great. They have a wonderful strong fruity smell that is currently masking the stink of oven cleaner. I just want to go into the kitchen to sniff. The white flesh was pretty tasty too. James bravely ate the peel, but I scooped the flesh out with a spoon. "Not bad" we both exclaimed. But oh, the smell. Our kitchen smells like fruit heaven.

They have a weird spiky crown like a pomegranate but have a colour and flesh texture closer to that of of a pear or apple. Therefore, I name this definitely-a-repeat-buy mystery fruit "pomme- granate". (I know, subtle but important spelling difference, here.)

2 comments:

B. Chan said...

Looks like a guava actually. Green apple variety?

Janet said...

I think you are right.