Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A tough decision

During the big holiday months of April and October, it seems impossible to get things done around here. The nanocentre is closed down so I can't use the microscope, labmates drift in and out of the lab like feathers on the breeze and it is dangerous to work alone. So while the place is working and everyone is here, I want to get as much done as possible.

As you all know, my project has been a big pain in the butt for the last few months. I only have two years here, and I want to get out as many research papers as possible as it is my publication list that will get me a real job. My PhD was merely average on that account, so this is my time to work hard and get 'er done.

Back in September when it was time to book flights for Christmas I had a project on the rocks, the useless month of October was looming ahead, and I couldn't justify making most of December a right-off too. I made a tough decision. I decided not to come home with The Chicken for the holidays.

I cried. And even now, I am dreading my two weeks alone while everyone is together at home.

What will I do? I will work like a dog so I can't get lonely, and on Christmas day I will lure my labmates over to my house with a little dose of pity and the promise of turkey with stuffing.

When one friend found out about my yuletide situation, he suggested The Chicken deserved a kick in the nads for leaving me alone over the holidays. First of all, I will be needing those nads in the future, so there will be no kicks. Secondly, The Chicken desperately misses his family, and hasn't seen much of them in the last two years. And after a MIT post doc and a Science paper, his future doesn't depend on his performance in his job the same way mine does. So he is going home. Why should I guilt and manipulate him into staying? I have already asked so much of him to put his career on hold and move across the world.

So don't feel sorry for me too much. I made this decision.

2 comments:

s_u said...

a sound and mature decision, but a touch call nonetheless. hey, just think about the money you save on plane tickets. oh, and those carbon credits for more ice-cream (or whatever your heart desires)!! lastly, you can fast-forward to all the goodies the Chicken's going to bring back...

Anonymous said...

Well I still feel sorry for you. The same thing happened to us, but I couldn't bear Robin being gone and me up here all by myself so I folded and bought a ticket. I wish you could too, but your journey is a long one to come home for just a few days.

Good luck my friend. I'll think of you!
xo
Ashy