Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Trip Update

It is 2 am, and like clockwork for the third night in a row, I am wide awake. Just for the record, I loathe Jet lag.

I guess I will take this time to update you on my trip home.

The conference went well. Every day I was out the door by 7 and out 'till 11 pm "networking", which is more like catching up with old chemistry friends who are now dispersed to the wind, and shamelessly talking with profs about the job situation. I felt like a naughty teenager sneaking back into James' Aunt and Uncles Condo long after they had gone to bed.

A surprise highlight was running into Ron, my grad-student supervisor during my very first research experience way back when I was just an undergrad. I haven't seen him really since I graduated in 2002. A big bear of a man, he quickly dispensed with any professionalism, put me in a headlock and gave me a noogie.

My talk went well; my scratchy voice held out, the room was packed, and there were lots of nodding heads. Most of them were from people nodding as they followed my arguments, but I will admit, one guy was taking a nap in the corner. I should have chucked my laser pointer at him.

A senior editor from the Journal Science also saw my talk and he sought me out later and congratulated my on my work.

I found one more job lead, so in the next few days I have to spiff up my resume and spin my research proposals to match their needs.

After the conference, I spent a week with my mom and visiting friends and family. Mom did her best to help me get in all of my once-a-year stuff in: one Kawartha Dairy ice cream, one homemade pie, one visit to the doctor, one swim in the lake, one paddle in a canoe, one visit to the cottage, the purchasing of one spifftastic suit (and four pairs of shoes), one hair cut, one pork chop.

I kept busy. If any of you notice that I am going really grey suddenly- not to worry- that is super strong white paint in my hair from painting the cottage ceiling. And raw cuticles? That would be from working in three separate gardens.

In no time flat, it seems, I was heading back to Jerusalem. In case you were wondering, my last two meals in Canada were a Timmy's double double for breakfast and a cheeseburger for lunch.

No comments: