Friday, October 8, 2010

Surfer Girl Storms Tel Aviv

I rose with the sun and took the first bus to Tel Aviv this morning. I can highly recommend the convenient number 8 bus from near our house to the central bus station and the 8 shekel giant coffee available at the terminal. What I do not recommend is the then required 8 minute frantic hunt for the washroom in the Tel Aviv bus station and the 8 second hang over the nasty, dirty, graffiti decorated, cigarette burned facilities. 

All this was to head down to the beach and cash in on my brithday present: surfing lessons. I got a private lesson from Oded who seemed just like you would expect a surfing instructor to be,  but with a Hebrew accent. Two hours later, after catching a few waves, some spectacular falls, swallowing half the Mediterranean, I could stand on the board (although while still holding the board). It was tonnes of fun, and seeing how I love the water, it was a great birthday present.  

Arms aching and shaking, sinuses well salted, tummy grumbling, I met up with Assi and Amit for some food. "What do you want to eat?" Amit asked me. 

"After two hours surfing? Breakfast, lunch, or a horse. Doesn't matter," I replied. 

We ended up at a lovely garden restaurant (I love going out with locals! They know all the best places!) As we were ordering, I heard the rumble of dumpster being moved on the street, or so I thought. As our drinks came, I felt a drop. Three bites into my delicious shakshuka (eggs cracked into tomato sauce, topped with cheese and baked in a cast iron pan, served with hearty bread) it started raining in earnest. 

It was the first rain in nearly six months. 

It poured. 

We ran under the awning, but not before my shakshuka became more like shashuka soup. It was still tasty though and filled the giant gaping hole in my tummy. 





It was such a good day, I think I will be splurging on another surfing lesson and a meal with friends in TA again soon. 

2 comments:

mel said...

Hooray, how fun!!

s_u said...

I finally caught up with all your good news and fun adventures after 3 weeks of vacation. Congrats on your kick-ass paper, chemistry superstar! I was going to send you guys a postcard from Taiwan but remembered that you were moving at some point so I skipped you guys this time around. I promise I will send you two on my next trip!!