
This fruit looks like a cross between a tomato and an orange and tastes like a cross between a mango and a carrot. I thought it was yummy and convenient- no pit and the orange flesh can be scooped out of the skin with a spoon. This is the kind of fruit that ends up in exotic juice mixes. The Chicken, of course didn’t like it, but then again, the party-pooper hasn’t liked a mystery fruit yet. I think what he really wants is a strawberry (a truly A-grade fruit for him) and because they aren’t strawberries, he doesn't give the poor fruits a chance and immeadiately poo-poos them. So don't listen to The Chicken, this fruit was yummy.
I should tell you that there is a guy at the market with a table full of strange mushrooms. When we run out of mystery fruit, we can move on to trying mystery mushrooms which may prove even more interesting.
We have been on some other culinary adventures. Last night I invented KFC: Kickin’ Flippin' Chicken, as The Chicken calls it. I tossed in a roasting bag: two pieces of chicken, two diced tomatoes, two potatoes, some Jerusalem artichoke, onion, lots of fresh rosemary, salt and pepper and garlic powder and roasted it all for forty minutes. Delish. To top it off, we had my famous cucumber, orange, yoghurt and fresh dill salad. These ingredients may seen a little exotic for your fridge, but being market patrons where fresh spices are 50 cents for a huge bunch, we are cooking like Jamie Oliver.
(FYI, Rosemary is totally worth buying fresh: Our bunch still looks perfect after two weeks in the fridge and we have added it to lots of things especially soups, potatoes, chicken, J-artichoke etc.)
The night before, we cooked up the ground lamb I accidentally bought thinking it was beef (Yes, this was the second time I made that mistake). We made some killer tomato sauce from scratch and served it on long noodles. This dish we have called “Lamb-burg-gini.”
2 comments:
It's a persimmon!
I love mystery fruit posts!
Post a Comment