Monday, November 10, 2008

Beware: My first potentially offensive post.

Tonight I feel relieved and a bit trepidatious. After a week and two days straight of reading, I think I have finally nailed down my project. But I am not going to tell you what it is. If I told you, I would then have to kill you, and since you are all so far away, that would be difficult. So best to keep my mouth shut.

In a way, science bites the big kahunas as there are absolutely no assurances. I have no idea if my ideas will work. All the reading in the world only gives me a good guess. It could be straight forward, or it could, literally, be impossible and leave me and my post doc career in a puddle of inconclusive results and low self esteem. And let’s not forget another round of me telling my boss I couldn’t do it. I am searching for that fine balance of having some confidence it will work and yet make something really new and different and exciting so I can get it published, ideally in a big journal. Then come the accolades like a high citation count which is like the Oscars of science (“You like my science! You really like my science!”) which, in turn, leads to employment. Employment is good.

On that note, tomorrow I will bravely grab life by the horns and present my idea to the boss and order the chemicals. Semiconductor research, here I come!

Did you hear about the brawl in the Holy Church of the Sepulchre today? It made the BBC and the CBC news (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24627868-401,00.html) but didn’t even garner a glance by the media here. Apparently, Christians can’t even get along when they are completely surrounded by Jews and Muslims. This church is in the centre of the old city and is where the tomb of Jesus is and where he was resurrected. There is a church every fifty feet around the old city and the Mount of Olives. Yet no one knows for sure exactly where the holy events happened, and to me it doesn’t really matter. Do you think God would have forgotten me if I had never made it to Jerusalem? Aren’t the teachings the most important thing anyway? Apparently not to some, namely the crazies today and not to mention the crusaders.

Hold on, I am waiting for the lightning bolt.

They say Jerusalem makes you way more religious or way less. I’d say it is just making me way more sarcastic. I have to keep my mouth shut around here, so I am using this blog as an outlet.

By the way, I am sorry my posts have gotten boring the last couple of days. My life is working itself into a routine. Hopefully soon I will have something better to write about than work and dirty sponges. At the same time, my scalp has sprouted new grey hairs since I left for Jerusalem, so perhaps a little routine and boringness is in order.

1 comment:

s_u said...

First thing first, this blog has become my daily ritual and it rocks! If you think this is boring, you should hear the constant reruns of some of my coworkers' complaints on traffic, cell phone charges and Air Canada's service... Poor Siu sometimes has to skip coffee break just to avoid mental damage!

I was going to ask you about that Holy Church incident and surprised by the fact that your local media didn't cover it as much as the Western ones. To me, all organized religion that preaches overtly and denounces others is a scam. The news story that I follow for the past few days has been the kidnapping/release of CBC's reporter Mellissa Fung in Afghanistan.

Best wishes on your research. It'll be a smashing success!