I cleaned out “my” fumehood today only to discover that lab policy is that any one of the twenty group members can use it at anytime (and they do), and no one believes in labeling their stuff here. So that means I will be punished with squatters and their mysterious dirty beakers for having a clean hood. I am not impressed to say the least. I miss my old fume hood.
During the cleaning, I got rid of a box of dirty pipettes. Later a student asked where his box of dirty pipettes was. I said I had thrown it out (with all the other glass waste) and he said he had planned to clean them before chucking them out. “It’s not a big deal,” he said “you just polluted the holy land.” Thanks Buddy.
Today is the three week mark of my stay in Jerusalem. The third week is always the worst for me when I move places. I get culture shock even when I move across Canada. Surprisingly, despite my grumpy post, this week hasn't been too bad. I was expecting the worst. Maybe it is that I have something to look forward to. The Chicken arrives in less than two weeks! And my own apartment! And the chicken is arriving! And I will get to cook for real! And the chicken is arriving! WOOO HOOO!
12 years ago
2 comments:
Yeah... Better come to terms quick with the reality of sharing fumehood and glassware. Back in my good old grad school days, I used to diligently do ALL my dishes before calling it a day. Now, I use my dirty glassware to mark my territory! Oh, and I usually hide a few clean RBFs and stuff just to make sure I don't have to clean up someone else's mess before setting up a simple reaction... It makes life even more miserable when you have some fresh post-docs (Not you! I'm talking about my labmate...) kicking around thinking that they know everything but in reality haven't got a clue on the proper techniques. Here's this guy blasting Ar for no reason and finished a tank in a week! I'll have a looooong winter, my friend...
That sounds like my place, "where are my dirty dishes? I was just about to wash them". Yes, they've been laying around for week and you were just going to wash them 5min after I do? People...
It looks like you are having the time of your life. Keep blogging Janet! I love your posts. =)
Post a Comment