Tuesday, November 11, 2008

לו, גנת לו פוה

After one and a half weeks of straight reading and one and a half hours of talking to my boss, I have a project! The boss picked my brain on everything that I read, heard my idea, picked it apart, okayed it and then asked for copies of all of the papers I downloaded and read. I just counted and there are 96 of them. And those are just the ones I kept. My brain hurts.

On Saturday, I was working on my Hebrew and memorizing the subject pronouns (I, you, he, she, them or je, te, il, elle…) I read that She is He (היא) and He is Who (הוא) and promptly started swearing. In the last few days I have resigned myself to the confusing linguistic fate, especially now that I have learned a great new phrase.
Say it with me now: Loh, who loh poh.
It means: No, he’s not here.
This fun to say phrase is useful because most of my interactions in Hebrew involve the phone. Tomorrows’ phrase for the day will be “call back later.”

By the way, can you find my name in the title? Hint: the letter that looks like lamda is called gimmel.

Today, Israelis vote in their new mayors. In Jerusalem, it comes down to the incumbent religious (as in Orthodox) mayor whose posters sport a cartoon of himself waving and looking friendly with his white beard and happy smile. The guy with the blue posters in the one all of the non-religious folks seem to be rooting for. And finally, there is the guy with the yellow posters who, according to my labmate, is very rich and is wanted for arms dealing in France. He sounds like and A-1 candidate to me.

I hope everyone sported a poppy today.

No comments: