Monday, November 3, 2008

Food and Housing

The maple shekel has found a place to live! YEA! However, I don’t get to move in for another three weeks. I think I am going to move back to the Austrian Hospice in the old city and hang out with the Nuns for 23 US bucks a night, rather than the 70 I am paying here at the Belgium House/ Faculty Club place.

The chicken and I will be living in Talbieh, on the top floor of a 4 floor apartment building. We have a great view of the city, two balconies, two big rooms and a kitchen, and not to mention a piano. Since I couldn’t be bothered with a TV, I will be spending a good chunk of my time playing the ‘ol black and whites and torturing the neighbours.

On the way back from my meeting with the new landlord I strolled my way through campus to have a four star meal. I carefully chose from the vending machine menu my entré (cookies to go with the plain yoghurt in my fridge). Mood lighting came from the street lights along the campus pathway which did not dull the view of the city from our lofty campus perch on the hill of Gi’vat Ram. The flower arrangements were provided by the two trees with the giant stinky flowers that look like cream coloured trumpet bells pointing to earth. Dinner entertainment was provided by the territorial maneuverings of the highly educated and very abundant campus cats.

How, you might ask, is Janet of the legendary gut sustaining life on such a meager diet? Do not fear, dear reader, for campus food is subsidized! For the cost of Ho-Ho’s special soup, I am chowing down each lunch time on a giant plate meat, veg and carb at the cafeteria with my like minded labmates. If cafeteria food doesn’t keep the weight on, nothing will.

2 comments:

Joel Kelly said...

hurrah! that's awesome news. send us your new address for mailings!

s_u said...

oh, how i miss Ho Ho's greasy goodness where one can count on having leftover for the next day...