Thursday, November 6, 2008

My Map Stinks


Every newbie to every city has a perpetual look of intense concentration on their face. They are either a) trying to visually memorize everything so they don’t get lost b) trying to figure out where they are c) trying to figure out where to go d) the look is not from confusion, but from indigestion problems resultant from changing diet.

Lucky me, I have not had a problem with d) but have frequently had the look of a, b and c. And I discovered this morning that it is not all my fault. My map sucks.

I bought a map from Chapters before I left. All of the street names are in English (which is fine ‘cause all of the street signs are in Hebrew and English), but the map is only of the very centre of the city. It is missing lots of important stuff, which has been confusing enough, but I have been learning to deal. But this morning, as I was making my way to Captain Kirk’s, I noticed an even bigger problem with my map (and the source of my geographic confusion about the university): IT IS MISSING A FOUR LANE HIGHWAY that runs past the campus. Now, I can forgive the odd typo. But a giant highway? I have attached a pic (courtesy of wikipedia) to emphasize the absurdity.

You may be wondering why the maple shekel has not been posting her own photos. Well, because as some of my stuff was in transit across Canada, some reprobate halfwit pilfered in one of my packages. The handy little cable from camera to computer is now gone along with my computer satchel, USB camera, life jacket, frying pan, and three copies of my transcript. It is all just annoying. When I buy a new cable/card reader there will be more photos, I promise. In the mean time, if you see someone wearing a yellow life jacket, video chatting with a T-fal frying pan, hit them over the head with the frying pan.

Oh and two posts in one day? This one is for you Mel.

3 comments:

mel said...

Very much appreciated!
José is currently stuck in his candidacy, Jon treated us to way too many donuts, I just had an iron cookie (it's periodic table cookie day) and really can't get my butt going! So the opportunity to waste more time enjoying your adventures is totally what I needed!

Anonymous said...

I can mail you my cable if you want. Or you can wait 3 weeks for it to show up in person - James

Anonymous said...

quit sniffing your map if it stinks that bad ;)

Hope all is well and keep us posted, I was curious how this was going to work.... foreign land, no speaks Hebrew...

Good luck!

Armin